Thursday, October 31, 2013

pizZap Mania Lite - Making of the Free ios Game

Hi all, this is my first full fledged post on the blog. Otherwise I just post videos from youtube and images from recent projects and stuff. Till now all the post were either from projects that I did while staying at the game development course I had taken. This for the first time is the post about a game I had actually made and uploaded on to the app store ( well it is not exactly the first... more on that later). But now I just would like to share my experience and the challenges I faced while making the game. So here goes....

So, I started working right after leaving my last co. where I was working as a game developer making flash games. But I had some experience in making games on the iOS using cocos2d. I had to learn objective - c to get the game working. But when I stated making this game I wanted to 2 things. 1. I should be comfortable with the language and 2. If I wanted I should be able to port this game to Android. So, I ended going with cocos2d-x. Since, I had experience with cocos2d I knew what I was getting myself into, and since I was good with c++ I could port objective -c codes if need be.

The game is loosely based on the direct-X project I made where you had to deliver pizzas to houses in the numbered order in a specific time. Failing to do so would end the mission with a failure status. For art I used my favorite super hero of all time, Batman and for the obstacles I used the best Villain ever The Joker.

So the game was initially called Super Duper Pizza Delivery Boy. But it wasn't fun enough. In the sense that I couldn't add any fun mechanics in it which would make the game fun and unique. As halloween was approaching I thought, "Hey why not make a Halloween themed game" which led to thinking, "Why not make the character a Witch" and she could have this cool Zap mechanic where she zaps the obstacles. So, that is how the concept of zapping and Witch came into existence.

I will continue next time on how I implemented the zap mechanic in cocos2d-x, how did I end up making the art and the sound by myself. In the process I will share some tips on how to make a completely independent game.

The game can be downloaded from the iOS store: https://itunes.apple.com/in/app/pizzap-mania/id720086686?mt=8


here is the link to the Trailer:



No comments:

Post a Comment